You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2013 6:21 pm  #1

Denton was RIDICULOUS!

Obviously to any who attended, the race at Denton today was absolutely ridiculous.  The first round of eliminations didn't start until 3:10PM.  I lost first round in Super Pro and was able to pack up and leave before Electronics had finished their first round, and we left after 5:00PM.  So, the first round was over two hours long.

Now, I realize that there were several issues that couldn't be helped.  There were some instances of fluid down on the track, and that is normal.  Of course, that's just racing, and no fair-minded person could blame the track staff for it.  What I do not understand, primarily, is that the track crew was constantly stopping our racing so they could prep the track and then run some pro mod or funny car or whatever class those cars were.  Sometimes doing so would stop our race for 20 minutes or more.  This is not right.  We pay good money to have our races run down the track.  We need to start getting it in writing that tracks will not run other events or even individual cars outside our group until our event is complete!

I also know there was some kind of mix-up with the car numbers and names.  Since I don't know all the details, I can't complain.  Could someone please enlighten us on what the problem is so we can find out if there's a way to prevent it in the future?

'72 Chevy Nova (Super Pro)
Aluminum 632ci BBC, Powerglide w/ brake

A crew chief that can't write a legible dial, and a driver that's asleep at the tree!

4/07/2013 9:26 pm  #2

Re: Denton was RIDICULOUS!

Well I don't understand why there were three different start times. 8 9 and 10. I always agree this is not a test and tune day. The single guys did not need to be out there running there runs. So yeah was very annoyed with how it was handled.

4/07/2013 10:29 pm  #3

Well with the 3 start times I will address that first. I called Saurday when I noticed that that they had the gates open at 10 on their calendar and on their flier that had opening at 8 and on our flier it had them opening at 9. So I called and I ask the lady that answered the phone what time were they opening and she told me 10. I said OK now we have a confick. We have 3 times which one is it? She went OH I guess I better ask some one who knows and she did and they said 8 and they did not open until 9. So who is running this place? Gauge you may have missed it when the owner or manager came on the mic and tired to make up excuses what had happen. I know of several happens that this guy almost got his ass kicked. They in their thinking that we were there to wait on them. We rent that track during that time and those people that they were letting run their times were using our time. We pay a lot of money for that and we do not like being treated like that.

I think we all need to look at this as a complete group and ask is this what we want? I don't think so and I think many will agree with me. We have 4 more weeks before we are sceduled to race there again and if this is the way the want to treat us then I say go elsewere or cancel it all together.

I was there to the end so I know how long it took. All I can say is Mark we need some help on this.

Last edited by wonderjet16 (4/07/2013 10:32 pm)

4/08/2013 1:54 am  #4

wonderjet16 wrote:

Well with the 3 start times I will address that first. I called Saurday when I noticed that that they had the gates open at 10 on their calendar and on their flier that had opening at 8 and on our flier it had them opening at 9. So I called and I ask the lady that answered the phone what time were they opening and she told me 10. I said OK now we have a confick. We have 3 times which one is it? She went OH I guess I better ask some one who knows and she did and they said 8 and they did not open until 9. So who is running this place? Gauge you may have missed it when the owner or manager came on the mic and tired to make up excuses what had happen. I know of several happens that this guy almost got his ass kicked. They in their thinking that we were there to wait on them. We rent that track during that time and those people that they were letting run their times were using our time. We pay a lot of money for that and we do not like being treated like that.

I think we all need to look at this as a complete group and ask is this what we want? I don't think so and I think many will agree with me. We have 4 more weeks before we are sceduled to race there again and if this is the way the want to treat us then I say go elsewere or cancel it all together.

I was there to the end so I know how long it took. All I can say is Mark we need some help on this.

Agreed. Move to another track

4/08/2013 8:50 am  #5

I think there really was a challenge with the record keeping.  I saw someone riding around on a scooter looking for names to go with some of the car numbers they'd been given.  I think the issue was that some people had filled in the car number on their tech cards but had failed to put their names on them.  They had to get that ironed out to make sure that people got the points they earned.

The first response I have to that issue is that the track staff should have been checking the tech cards when they were collecting them.  I know the guy that took mine didn't even glance at it.  I could have been handing him a Hallmark card, and he wouldn't have known any different.  Secondly, if people had paid for the driver reward program, their name and car number should have been on that sheet.  It should have been easy to find their names, and if they weren't on the sheet, then they weren't in the driver reward program, and they're not getting points anyway.

So, I think that there truly was some kind of issue with the "record keeping," and it probably could have been handled better both on their parts and on ours.  However, that does not excuse the start time problem or the test and tune runs being done in the middle of our event.

Just out of curiosity, when did the even finally end?  I've never been so glad to go out first round.  ;)

A crew chief that can't write a legible dial, and a driver that's asleep at the tree!

4/08/2013 10:04 am  #6

My wife made it to the semifinallys in pro so we stayed for the trophy and we got out of there after 8 pm.

4/08/2013 11:59 am  #7

IDK seem like some tracks try to do too much.. way too much if they want to announce drivers names and make year car etc.
(although I do like the anouncing out there for the most part)

On the timing screw ups. One I know of Mikes.
When he ran against the not sure who in a white TA
the put the dial n's on the board for the pair behind them AND announced the pair behind them's names. John and Sara,, Then IDK something in the slips was messed up because gave them somebody else's slips. or times with there car numbers on it.
bascially it changed the hadicap from what should have been abut .07 to .02 and might have even swapped who should have started first.
Sara caught em doing the same to her, refused to stage and got at least that series of problems ended.
Track did later say they were having some issues with the system where it sometimes would reject what they were putting for dials.
To a degree that was the racers problem but... that's also a track problem if they read the dial in off cars that aren't racing. 
To me... I don't really see why the track needs to track classes like they try to do.
Why can it not be like other tracks.... you show up in a class and you run in that class VS how they did it where you HAD to put a class on your card before you ever TT then it was a problem if you changed classes or something.
Assigning class might be better done 1st round rather than before.as
in you run in whatever class you run in first round.
Then the class names just buggered em up to mixing up super, pro, super pro etc when calling to lanes. (an perhaps inputting the tech cars too. (which true enough would be a mess of do over's if that happened)

The other annoying bit to me was the track running test n tune, prepping for their test n tune, then not calling classes to the strip ahead of time... that's another chance to get records right.. AFTER a class is called to the lanes and it does usually take 10-15 minutes after being called to the lanes to get everyone there anyway.. we ARE used to that.  I don't have a big issue if we allow TnT between round, but they have to call classes and have them read vs call them after the TNT is done. it's got to stay moving with PRORITY on the race classes..

That and the poor attitude of the guy in the tower. I would have voted not going back to NorhtStar last night but true enough we should give them one more chance.

4/08/2013 1:13 pm  #8

Well, I got screwed by a NSD mistake!!!!  My Dial-in was clearly shown on my window as 7.66.  This did not change from Round 1 to Round 2.  WELL, in the 2nd Round of King, eliminations were stopped numerous times during the races.  Once racing began again, NSD staff would make you rush to burnout and complete your run.  Halfway down the track, I noticed that NDS staff never changed the dial-in of 7.90 from the car that raced in the right lane prior to me.

I ran a 7.73 in Round 2 and won my race.  Due to NDS entering my Dial-in as 7.90 rather than 7.66, I broke out and LOST.  I WAS PISSED.  After I got my slip, I raced thru the pits (in my car) and drove up to the track owner Gene.  He gave me excuses and said TOO BAD.  Still fuming, I went into the tower to further complain.  Since I live in Denton, I Race at NSD almost every weekend.  I think they just lost a loyal paying customer!!!

Last edited by Shawn Brumley (4/08/2013 1:45 pm)

4/08/2013 2:49 pm  #9

Shawn Brumley wrote:

Well, I got screwed by a NSD mistake!!!!  My Dial-in was clearly shown on my window as 7.66.  This did not change from Round 1 to Round 2.  WELL, in the 2nd Round of King, eliminations were stopped numerous times during the races.  Once racing began again, NSD staff would make you rush to burnout and complete your run.  Halfway down the track, I noticed that NDS staff never changed the dial-in of 7.90 from the car that raced in the right lane prior to me.

I ran a 7.73 in Round 2 and won my race.  Due to NDS entering my Dial-in as 7.90 rather than 7.66, I broke out and LOST.  I WAS PISSED.  After I got my slip, I raced thru the pits (in my car) and drove up to the track owner Gene.  He gave me excuses and said TOO BAD.  Still fuming, I went into the tower to further complain.  Since I live in Denton, I Race at NSD almost every weekend.  I think they just lost a loyal paying customer!!! 

That does suck, and we've had that happen to people in our club before.  It sounds like it happened several times yesterday, and that's not acceptable.  It should be a once in a blue moon occurrance.  People make mistakes, but several times in a single race is a serious problem.

All that being said, according to the rules you should be checking your dial before you stage.  They shouldn't be screwing up, but it's our job to keep an eye on them and make sure it's done right.  I've had that happen to me once, and I caught it before I staged (luckily).

It sounds like this was an even worse all-around miserable experience than I thought it was.

4/08/2013 2:52 pm  #10

Never stage without checking dial ins posted. 

4/08/2013 9:49 pm  #11

Shawn Brumley wrote:

Yeah when they announced names wrong and used dialins for those names rather than the racers it had me wondering if they were putting the dials in well before staging rather than as they pull up / sitting in the burnoot box.

4/09/2013 5:53 am  #12

We better be careful what we say on this board. North Star monitors this board and they banded one of our members for life for complaining to them at the track how they were running it. They might band us all.

4/09/2013 1:27 pm  #13

wonderjet16 wrote:

We better be careful what we say on this board. North Star monitors this board and they banded one of our members for life for complaining to them at the track how they were running it. They might band us all.

Sounds like it was a cluster f*** so I'm glad I wasn't there. I was at Ennis for a race there. I'm with you guys the running of other cars for TnT during these events just slows everything down.

And I say who cares if they read this or not "Where there is smoke there is fire" it sounds like they screwed it up pure and simple! 

David N.
Team K

4/09/2013 7:26 pm  #14

Maybe that member read em the riot act vs constructive criticism lol

Board footera