You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2014 12:39 pm  #1

A word of caution

I am sure most of you are aware of the accident between the scooter and the golf cart that happened behind our pit area in Denton this past race. I hope the 2 ladies are ok as it did not look like either of the 2 had serious injuries. What I wanted to bring up here is to caution everyone about pit speeds. Before anyone gets themselves all spun up please understand that I am not inferring that the accident was caused by speeding. I did not see what happened but only heard the impact. The accident did however have quite a few people talking about pit speeds in relationship to scooters and such. My point here is simply this: Everyone on any vehicle be it a scooter, golf cart, bicycle, dog sled or lunar rover needs to obey the pit speed limit just as the cars do. We have too many kids and spectators roaming the pits for people to be speeding through the area. Too many times have I been rolling down pit road only to be passed by a few scooters and carts along the way or have had to slam the brakes because a scooter zipped in front of me without the driver so much as looking at me. Granted we have not had but the one accident but that one accident should serve as a warning to everyone to slow down and pay attention because the next incident could be worse. In my profession we tell each other to be safe out there, the same applies to what we all do for fun with TMCCC. So be safe out there!
-Scott

Last edited by strieg3 (10/03/2014 2:16 pm)

Red River Car Club Racing

10/03/2014 6:04 pm  #2

Re: A word of caution

WOW!  Amen to this! You couldn't be more right about everyone needs to heed the speed in the pits! I've seen too many adults and kids driving golf carts and scooters flying up and down in the pits and in the staging lanes.  People get "lacks"  in not thinking that an accident CAN HAPPEN in the pits not just on the track. So HEED THE SPEED and live to race or see another race!

10/03/2014 8:27 pm  #3

Sad, there have been two fatalities on golf carts this year, one was at the Nationals here, and one in Denver. All it takes is to fall off, just right, and the results are not good. Besides, it's hard to stop and talk if you buzz by on something. That's what I like most about these races, lots of good conversation.

10/04/2014 2:50 pm  #4

Well put.

10/09/2014 3:16 pm  #5

Just curious as to why an ambulance was not on site at the track in Denton. I remember times in Ennis that we couldn't start racing because we were waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Is an ambulance no longer required during races?

10/10/2014 7:38 am  #6

I had the same thoughts as RaceNJess.

10/10/2014 2:21 pm  #7

What I heard was due to the fact he had 2 EMTs there he didn't have to have an ambulance. That is the most obsurd thing I have ever heard. If a car goes over the gaurd rail and into the crowd EMTs are not going to be abler to handle the result. And considering it took a darn long time for the abulance to get there after the motor bike, cart crash I don't think that would work. Every other track we go to has an ambulance on site and I thought our entery fees paid for that protection.

10/10/2014 5:45 pm  #8

If there were 2 EMT's there then why were they not assisting with the accident? Since this happened right behind our pit area I was present from the outset until the Sanger FD left and at no time were there any track EMT's present and if they were there they sure as heck weren't doing anything productive. But I agree as to the question of why was there no ambulance present. And to further that discussion, is it worth the risk returning to a track that does not even have basic safety personnel and equipment during the event? I used to run a large charity walkathon in Frisco and we even had a mobile Frisco FD EMT unit on site during the event.
-Scott

Last edited by strieg3 (10/10/2014 9:20 pm)

Red River Car Club Racing

10/10/2014 8:31 pm  #9

If EMT's were there, they should have been on the scene, ambulance or no ambulance on the grounds. I think their main focus is to stabilize the patient until the "real" ambulance gets there. Not that I've seen a lot of people go to the hospital, but usually the city ambulance will show up to cart them away. And the EMT's are not allowed to grab a fire extinguisher if your car is on fire, unless they are there as fireman too. Too much liability nowadays for people to be able to jump in and help.  So keep that in mind, note where the fire extinguishers are at the tracks, 30 seconds could make all the difference.

Board footera