You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2014 4:38 pm  #1

ATTENTION EVERYONE

Everyone that was at North Star Dragway on June 21st will remember that at the end of time trials all the racers with street tires were moved out of the groove. At that point there was concrete starting to show at the starting line. Gene was very proactive and solved the problem before it became a problem. This is the first time we have seen a track do this at a muscle car event, but I don't think it will be the last. If you were at Redline in May you saw how bad the starting line got later in the day and I'm sure you can recall numerous other times we seen balls of rubber at the starting line. It's very important for everyone involved to work together and have the best racing surface for all racers.
  To help insure this in the future Phillip and I will go to the tower at each race and discuss with the track personnel what might be the best approach to have the same racing surface all day. At the muscle car club reps meeting Sunday we feel that the approach North Star took worked very well. In the future if the track personnel feels that moving street tires out of the groove will be needed that day we will ask that they have them stage out of the groove in time trials as well as in eliminations. If you race with street tires please don't feel we are trying to make your day difficult or exclude you in any way. Our goal is to make the best surface for everyone from time trials to the finals. If you run drag radials moving out of the groove will not apply to you.

See ya at the Motorplex
Mark Buchanan

7/17/2014 7:57 pm  #2

Re: ATTENTION EVERYONE

Seems fair

7/22/2014 7:08 am  #3

TXR puts cones in the groove for street tires on Sunday, it really helps. As long as the groove is widened (sprayed) the street tire cars do not have a disadvantage. Most of the Muscle Car racers do a good job not blowing the tires away on the starting line, or power braking when staging (even the slightest "turning the tires" when staging is bad) that is what really destroys the track. Cars with a "stick" and slicks that leave at high rpm's can rip it down to the concrete pretty easy too. When I run the Mustang at TMCCC events, I always line up out of the groove, even though I have slicks. That is my groove all day. I know that usually in the late rounds, the normal groove will be slick.

7/23/2014 10:45 am  #4

Thanks for your comments and insight!!!!

Mark

Board footera