You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2018 7:15 am  #1

Suggestions for Low Car Count Races

With yesterdays low car count we where looking for suggestions on ways to remedy the situation. One suggestion was to have a second race. It would be a regular points (no bonus points for first round) and would follow the finals from the first race with first round of eliminations(no time trials). It would require a second tech card purchase.

So this would have pushed us to 140+ tech cars for the day if everyone participated in the second race.

Thoughts?

Jorge

Let's make Drag Racing great again. 😉

6/11/2018 12:43 pm  #2

Re: Suggestions for Low Car Count Races

I think that is a valid suggestion.  I would have done that yesterday for sure.

We owe Larry & Jan Croft, and Nick Duty a big thank you for putting the race on yesterday, even though we did not have enough car count for them to even break even. 

Our participants need to understand that the tracks have to generate an income, and if we don't support the events with turn out, they won't be having us back. 

I know it was hot yesterday, and for a 71 year old man it was tough - The tow up there and back was about $ 75. in fuel for my truck.  The tow to Xtreme Raceway Park and back was about $ 30, the tow to Abilene and back was $ 55.  The entry fees were the same for all three events. So my cost to do the one day travel was more, but was worth the tow and the additional time. I would do it again next weekend, because I want the TMCCC program to survive.   

Bill Boon
Texas Trailer Man
10050 Jacksboro Hwy, Lakeside, Tx 76135
(817) 759-1950 Website www.texastrailerman.com

6/11/2018 5:40 pm  #3

Thanks Bill.  Well said about supporting the tracks that support our program. 

6/12/2018 10:18 am  #4

Sounds good to me. Are we thinking about this for Lufkin race if we have a poor turn out?

6/12/2018 12:38 pm  #5

I think the low count may be because the long distance races have taken the casual racers out of the count. They are an goodly amount of car count normally. I know that couldn't be helped but I the hard core just aren't enough to maintain the necessary field. Maybe getting the racers closer to those home tracks involved some how would help.

6/12/2018 1:08 pm  #6

I can say the long travel is a deal killer for me, I haven’t bothered racing the last two years. I like driving my car everywhere, but there is a limit to how far and how often. Ardmore was my limit, but they don’t seem to want us back. Maybe it’s time to shorten the amount of races, and do one out of town and whatever amount the local tracks will give us. Adding an extra race to the out of town ones will make a longer day, and a worse Monday morning for some of us. Most of us just do it for fun, when you travel that far, most want a chance to win enough money to help cover the day.

6/12/2018 2:31 pm  #7

I started racing with TMCCC in 1999 Susan joined in 2002 and we do this as a couple thing. She has to get up at 5:30 am for work which means that out of town races are a no go and I don't have any fun without her there. So we decided to take this year off to see what happens. We really are enjoying the time together. I do miss the racing but not enough to give up relaxed family time. We also get to take motorcycle cruises together now.

6/12/2018 4:18 pm  #8

With the local tracks having so many choices for racing at their venues, our program does not fill the stands like some of the other programs.  Our deal has always been our good car counts.  Car counts are what brings in a bit of cash flow for the track.  Without the car counts the track will be less likely to continue allowing us run our program at their track.  We already have one local track that we can not use because of these issues and others.  The travel races are trying to make up for the loss of local track races available to the organization.

The suggestion for a second race at a low car count races, was as much an attempt to help the track as well as create more racing for those who chose to make the trip.

6/13/2018 11:07 am  #9

Surfer1420 wrote:

With yesterdays low car count we where looking for suggestions on ways to remedy the situation. One suggestion was to have a second race. It would be a regular points (no bonus points for first round) and would follow the finals from the first race with first round of eliminations(no time trials). It would require a second tech card purchase.

So this would have pushed us to 140+ tech cars for the day if everyone participated in the second race.

Thoughts?

Jorge

I think this is a great suggestion. I really can't think of anything else TBH. I would have done this, I debating getting a tech card for multiple classes just for this reason.

6/17/2018 10:48 am  #10

I agree that this many out of town races are challenging, but I do enjoy racing with this group. I like the idea of 2 races with a low count. I would like to know as soon as possible. I am planning to run Super Muscle and Outlaw to help with low tech cards at Lufkin. I don't want to run 2 classes if we are doing 2 races. I would say to establish the low car 70, 75, 80 whatever it is and make the call early.

Tyler Mancuso

6/23/2018 9:42 am  #11

What sucks about adding a second race is that if you're  in the points program you're pretty much forced into running or you have no chance. That and those of us that race as couples are spending 120 to do so. I do realized something has to be done or this series will end .

Chad Boren
514TorqueCentral
2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0T
2002 NBM Z28 M6

6/25/2018 10:05 am  #12

Part of the problem with Sunday racing is that most tracks run a Saturday night program and then have to turn around and get up early the next morning. Since most of the people who work at the track do so as a second job, that means they work 7 days a week.

The tracks are a business, first and foremost, if we can figure out how to make them money that cures a lot of things. Plain and simple the cost of racing needs to go up. I know that's not a popular sentiment but if these tracks can make money, they will take our calls and find us all of the dates we need.

$10-$20 more averaged over the course of the year is only a $100 to $200 a year. I personally, have spent more than that on each out of town races this month.

8/10/2018 8:29 am  #13

Maybe it’s time to restructure the format. I know it’s great having so many classes, but maybe it’s time to combine a few. That means less trophies to buy, less end of year award money paid out, a shorter race day. Street and Stock is one example to combine.

Have a Gamblers race afterwards, with the track keeping a decent amount of the purse to help cover the day. $20-$25 dollar entry. If it paid $100 to win, $50 to runner up, 10 cars would cover it and leave $100 to the track. And I’m sure there would be more than 10 entries.

Maybe it’s time to change how much the tracks give back to the club. If they made more money, they might want us there. The other option is raising entry fees, but I’m not sure how many racers want that. When the cost gets close to what we pay at a normal bracket race that pays out nice money, it doesn’t seem right racing for a trophy.

But I think ANY change needs to be done by voting. And not just officers, by everyone signed up for points. No changes are going to be right for everyone, but it seems something needs to change?

8/10/2018 8:51 am  #14

I do like the idea of combining some classes. Hell sometimes if you make it passed round one you're in the semi's with the car count being this low as of late.

Chad Boren
514TorqueCentral
2017 Infiniti Q50 3.0T
2002 NBM Z28 M6

Board footera